Thursday, August 23

Self Punishment

Well at last after much speculation Tim Henman has announced his expected retirement. Now I guess I could not be described as a sports addict at all, actually I would strongly deny any such association vehemently, but it makes me wonder at times like this how we in this country set our hopes of sporting success so low, that we then are happy with any little win here or there. Here we have a tennis player who no doubt has some talent, but he is being made out to be some great player along the lines of the great Fred Perry which I find quite amusing as he has never won a “Grand Slam” but he has made it to 6 or 7 Semi Finals!! He hasn’t even managed to make it to a Final yet he is the best we have to offer?? Could you see the Americans putting up with the likes of Serena or Venus Williams just making it to the Semi Finals?? I think not!! I don’t want to make a big issue out of it but I suppose seeing as the government are about to waste, I mean spend a load of mine and yours hard earned cash on staging the debacle known as “The Olympics” I see us yet again making a damn good laughing stock out of ourselves yet again, but this time we will be skint in the process.

Okay on a more cheery note, I’ve been out and about over the last weekend and since too. Saturday I dragged my sister into Cardiff for a bit of retail therapy and a nice slap up breakfast of course, well it seemed a waste in not trying out the local fayre. It proved to be more bad than good though as we got well and truly caught in the rain which resulted in a severely bad chest for day afterwards, in fact it still is not right now although it is getting better. The weekend saw me struggling quite a lot just to get enough oxygen in to keep me going and to be honest at times I thought I was rapidly heading, with the blue light disco on the roof to a stay at Heath Towers but thankfully managed to stay put and resist the temptation. I think the thought of all that Savoury Mince, Bran Flakes etc that they pass off as food there gave me the inspiration needed to get my arse in gear and get through it. I did as a result of this take it easy for a day or 2 but there is no tying down Jonny when the sun comes out. I’ve had a few days out shopping etc and generally out and about seeing how many people I can annoy by taking up their space on the pavement with my Wheelchair. I find it amusing to see some people’s faces when they walk straight in front of me until they realise, at least most of them do anyhow, that I am not going to move my joystick for anyone to get out of their way, it’s a case of shock and horror and pain too if they’ve not managed to avoid the nice heavily clad metal front on the wheelchair. Back into Day Care tomorrow too as I had to miss Tuesdays session so a chance to catch up on the goss.

I’ve got a few outings planned this weekend too which I’m looking forward to as well. Saturday I’m off to a local Village Show, full of the usual Sponge Cakes, and Runner Beans and Marrows of alien proportions and let’s not forget the Dry Flower Arrangements too. Sunday if a little different in that I am going to drag my poor old sister out again, this time into a fabulous Farmers Market in Cardiff which is excellent you will find details of it here if you are ever in the area looking for something to do. Hopefully we will get to go for a walk around down in “The Bay” or if like me having being brought up not far from there, The Docks.

An update on the building/grant work too. I had a phone call this morning from the council explaining that I had to now go ahead and employ an architect and after giving me a list of ones they have used in the past I did just that and he is coming out next Tuesday to start the ball rolling. So more progress again which can only be a good thing I guess, I HOPE!!!

See Ya!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blimey John, you passeed up the opportunity for carefully prepared NHS fare? The food, carefully cooked to order, then chilled down to be carted across the hospital (or even across town, to be re-baked, under cover so that the steam and that unmistakeable aroma can develop, before being handed to you on a plastic tray with a one ply serviette and a 'refreshing hand wipe" (postage stamp size) ...? And the breakfast - the porridge made with the dust from the carpenters shop, and the corn flakes, made with the cardboard bo0x they came in..!

But good news on the archiect though - don't forget to get him to specify the latest kitchen gadgets for you to use so you can cook REAL food, like juicy bacon sarnies!

O&U

Anonymous said...

Any updates? Is all OK?

Doug Paulley said...

hiya Johnny

A bit concerned you haven't posted for a while. I hope you are OK?

A Fellow Crip

Jonny5 said...

Hi guys, sorry for the awol, hope the recent blog explains a bit better why. normal service resumes soon i hope!!

John