Monday, January 29

I don’t know about you but I have been keeping an eye on the unravelling news story regarding Adoption, more so the Catholics approach to it. Is it just me that finds their trying to gain exemption from allowing Gay couples/singles to adopt children completely Discriminate? It would be all the same if they decided to not allow Disabled People for example, there would be widespread condemnation. What gives them the right to even attempt to try and do this? What makes me laugh more than the story itself is the fact that the government has decided to wimp out and actually give them 21 months immunity to so called “Adapt to the situation”, YOU WHAT!!!! That’s like saying, you are allowed to discriminate for now and we will turn a blind eye to it and more probably in 20 months when the story is “Old News”, they will just continue on as they have been for the 21 months. Surely what the Catholic Church are attempting to do is wrong isn’t it in the day and age?? I mean 21 months for what?? It’s not as if they have to make any major changes to their structure or staffing or anything other than their Prehistoric Views. I think the line has to be drawn somewhere otherwise we are getting into the realms of completely over the top political correctness but where they are trying to draw it is no where near the mark. Why doesn’t the government have the guts to stand up for what is right? What is quite frightening is that the outcome of this situation has somewhat set a precedence so that maybe some other group etc decides that they don’t want to offer there service etc to Disabled people or single parents etc etc. A huge backwards step undoing all the progress made over the last few years.

Ah well that’s that rant over with, for now anyway. I’ve been out into Cardiff for a bit of retail therapy today. I had a couple of vouchers for Christmas that I thought I would try and make use of whilst the sales are still on. Well, more kitchen gadgets to fill the already bulging cupboards with. I do need them all though, although I think Judith and Tara would tell you different. I love the indoor market in Cardiff, and always try and go there for my favourite marinated meats etc they are absolutely gorgeous. I bought an Oxtail while I was there too so hopefully I will make a nice stem in the next couple of days. I’ve never actually cooked an Oxtail before so that will be a first. I must say too that we met two wonderful Traffic Wardens who were extremely helpful and even allowed us to park on double yellow lines right in the middle of the town centre as long as we were back within 2 hours, which was great. See they can be nice and they’re not all like the mini Hitler’s I had to deal with all those times I used to deliver around there.

I’ve been having major c—p with my eyes recently. I think one of the medications I am taking has been causing Dry Eyes. I have been using this false tears stuff which up till recently has been working fine providing I put it in fairly regularly however this last few days it hasn’t been doing anything at all. They are really quite sore at times and find that about the only way to get some sort of relief is close my eyes which is not a good idea whilst I’m driving though!! My chest though thankfully is currently behaving itself although I am still wheezy during the day now and then. I’m off to George Thomas Hospice tomorrow for my first Relaxation class which I’m looking forward to. I’m hoping that it will teach me how to relax better at home and maybe get a better sleep.

Right I’m off to see what else the government are wimping out of!!

See Ya!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, in general, with your comments. Indeed, a few years ago I was outraged when I read about people who were refused adoption because they were overweight - bloody ridiculous.

However, I can also see the value in some of the arguments given by the Catholic Church. Why should they be made to go against their beliefs? There was outrage a few months ago when a female muslim teacher was made to remove her veil - against her religion. So why should Catholics be made to go against their beliefs.

There are many open-minded and liberal roman catholics, who would be willing to give children to gay or lesbian couples, and others who would not. So why not give each Catholic adoption agency a choice. In any case, I am sure there are other non-religious agencies who would not descriminate against gay and lesbian people.

Mr Blair's excuse for the delay in 21 months is to allow the catholic agencies time to re-educate themselves and prepare spiritually and emotionally to go against their faith - quite generous of him really. He only came to that decision after his cabinet refused to back him in allowing exemption for the catholic church.

Interesting debate - thanks for airing your opinion.

Jonny5 said...

Thanks for your comments. I think what i'm most annoyed at is the fact that they could even attempt to try and obtain exemption in this day and age, where it is finally recognised that all people of all denominations, race,colour,sexuallity etc etc are to be treated equaly. i do however take on board the fact that the Catholic Church in general see this as going against their beliefs although in saying that their religion is based as all other christian religions are on their interpretation of the Bible and teachings there in.

I'm not too sure exactly how the Adoption process works but i would think that maybe the way around this would be for Gay/Lesbian couples etc to not go to the Catholic Agencies and use all the other countless agencies that provide the same although more sympathetic to Gay /Lesbian people service.

There is however no valid argument to support Mr Blairs 21 exemption unless you take into consideration the fact that by then he will no longer be Prime Minister and in fact may well not even be in the Governing party of the day then as we would have had an General election by then. i may just be being extreemly sceptical but i think we are going to see a numbe of these type of things, where answers are not given and actions are not required till after he has stood down.

See Ya!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for responding to my comments.

You are right regarding your interpretation of the Bible being vague.

I also agree with your suggestion about gay and lesbian people using other agencies for adoption purposes - I don't quite understand why that suggestion was not taken into account more seriously.

Prime Minister's question time today was very interesting. Mr Cameron made the same observations as you - that policies will not be forthcoming until Blair has left office.

Best wishes to you and yours.