Thursday, February 22

The Good Old Bacon Sarny!!

There have been a lot of references recently both on here and on Peters Blog too. Its one of the great British dishes that is pretty much loved by all and I think if a poll was done of Vegetarians the one thing that would make them return to eating meat would be the Bacon Sandwich at least the ones I know would anyhow. It has started me thinking of all the many ways of cooking and therefore eating one.

I guess there are huge varieties of various Breads ect in which to serve the Bacon, although my particular favourite is a nice warm fresh baguette with lashings of naughty Anchor Butter, the Full Fat, Loaded with Calories version obviously. As for the Bacon there are so many different flavours along with the obvious Smoked / Unsmoked argument there are hundreds of forms of smoking treatments available, most of which I have probably eaten at some time or other over the years. In this respect I don’t quite have a favourite really. Then there is the minor point of “How To Cook It”. This is purely down to individual tastes I guess although for some I suppose there is the health implications that frying food may cause. So, do you Fry or do you Grill?? I used to Fry all the time and still occasionally still do, although I have recently discovered way of cooking the Bacon that really enhances the flavour of the overall sandwich to an amazing level. The other advantage of cooking it the way I do is that it is works better with the cheaper range, you know the stuff that’s usually pumped full of water to increase the profits.

Have you guessed what it is yet??

Give In??

Okay, I’ll tell you. I put it on a smallish plate and Microwave it. “That’s not exactly that unusual” I hear you cry and yes I agree to a point but let me continue. If you use a cheaper type of Bacon that’s “Full Of Water” what happens to all that water when you microwave it?? You guessed it, it comes out and stays on the plate. Okay, following so far?? Okay then, after micro waving your Bacon for just around 1 minute for 3 slices then removing and turning over and cooking for a further 1 minute you are left with 3 slices of nice cooked juicy bacon and if you are lucky and have followed the advice and bought cheap Bacon you will have a load of deeply flavoured Bacon Juice. What I do is spread the Anchor on the Warm Bread which obviously melts in, then, this is the thing that makes all the difference, I pour all that lovely juice onto the bread and then place the bacon in and Munch away in a heavenly bliss, savouring every Bacony mouthful. You really ought to try it, you won’t be disappointed honestly. I just had a thought for those that like their Bacon a little crispier than I do, you could always cook it this way first to suck out all the juicy goodness then pop it under the grill to crisp up.

All this talk of Bacon has made me really hungry I’m gonna have to go and make one now to alleviate this urge. Sorry!!

See Ya!!

(I can’t believe I just wrote a blog on Bacon Sandwiches, I really must get out more)