Wednesday, February 7

Well that wasn’t supposed to happen!!

I’ve not been on top form of late as you all know, and to be honest I was heading I think to another stay at Heath Towers sooner rather than later. My main problems were, loss of appetite, feeling sick and also dry sore eyes. Well over the weekend the sickness got pretty bad and actually resulted in me more or less spending the day Saturday looking down the Big White Bowl calling for Huwie, not a pretty picture I know. It didn’t help that I had run out of Anti Sickness pills and the local chemist was shut all weekend for a change, so I couldn’t get any more. It did get so bad later on that I eventually had to call out the out of hours GP. What an experience that was, and not a blinking good one either. After continually calling them up when they said they would ring me straight back, well straight back to me means 10-15 mins at the most and when 45 mins goes by what do you expect me to do?? The doctor actually got out to me 5 ½ hours later and then he was here about 2 mins just to give me some replacement Anti Sickness pills and off he went. It’s all down to this new service they have had to join for out of hours coverage which is a central call centre and an area to cover of around 50 miles covering 3 boroughs. I know when our own GP practice used to share the on call amongst themselves the service was super efficient and the fact that they knew you made all the difference in the approach to your treatment and not just the what appears to now be, care free approach by this new service. It does in all honesty look like it’s an accident waiting to happen and that sadly someone will end up dying because of them.

The cause for the lack of appetite and also sickness so I found out was the withdrawal of steroids. Well I know that they would cause the lack of appetite but not the sickness. I have been reducing them over the last month or so under Merlins watchful gaze, but I actually started back on the original dosage Sunday and it’s Wednesday now and the sickness has gone and the appetite is on the way back too. So I will be back on the Bacon Sarnies and dare I say it T-bone steak. Following a visit to see Merlin yesterday we have decided to still try and reduce them but much more slowly than before, this way my adrenal glands won’t have such a shock trying to deal with the additional work.

The sore eyes on the other hand are a different thing. They have become extremely sore and quite mucky too, so much so that I can’t open them for long periods of time instead just a few seconds really as its too painful, and I need the help of a JCB in the mornings to get them open. He gave me some antibiotic eye drops yesterday to take for a while which as it happens have started to work pretty quick thankfully. So much so that I have been able to sit and write this, although it has been a bit more, stop, start than usual and you’ll have to excuse any spelling mistakes that the spell checker hasn’t picked up.

My chest problems thankfully seem happy at the moment to take a back seat and just watch while all the other buggers try their best to get to me, nut you can be rest assured it’s watching and learning and probably even planning it’s next Battle Plan. “C’mon Big Boy Give It Your Best Shot, I’ll Be Waiting For You”

Okay that enough punishment on the eyes for one day, I’ll try write again soon.

See Ya!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm begining to think that bacon sarnies should be available on prescription - perhaps I ought to suggest it to the not-so-nice people at NICE...

Sorry to hear about your woes - I've never been on igh dose steroids long enough to get those sort of symptoms - although when I was admitted last October with te throat problems, I was on a gram a day (as my consultant said - "The sledge hammer end of steroid therapy") but only for two days.

Bits crossed that things improve for you - and soon!