Thursday, March 22

Hi there folks. I’ve just realised that I have been naughty and not blogged for a while now. I’d like to say it was because I have been so busy or even, heaven forbid that I’ve been so ill that I haven’t turned the computer on, but it would all be a lie.

I’ve been just plodding on doing pretty much the mundane things in life like, breathing, eating and the obvious side effects caused by eating as in, by product disposal if you get my meaning?? Oh yes you will be pleased to know that I have kept up, well intensified actually, my confrontation with all the various agencies that are responsible for providing a suitable service for disabled people etc. and not just the Lip Service at best that most of them are guilty of.

I think it’s very much like the Train situation I was talking about and which “A Fellow Crip” had commented on too as in the service you can expect is very much down to individual areas / councils, MP’s even and their approach to such issues. My small experience of just some of the problems faced by Disabled People in particular, although I am aware that they are sadly not the only discriminated section of society, has really opened my eyes to the wide spread, blatant even at times, Non-Compliance to the current regulations contained in “The Disability Discrimination Act 1995” and subsequent revisions since then also. Its not as if everyone has had this sprung on them, although I must say that a fair bit of tinkering has been done up till around 2005 but nothing too major, nut even so there is absolutely NO EXSCUSE why people are not complying with the various aspects of the Law. Businesses were given a couple of years to make changes for example to make there business / service provided etc, accessible to Disabled People yet 2 years on there is still Blatant abuse of this almost to the effect that they are sticking two fingers up to everyone and as well as that they are happy to miss out on the business they may get from all those dodgy geezers in their wheelchairs and their huge circle of family and friends all of which will not be using their service etc. Good Business Sense?? Mmmm!!!

I guess in my own small way, by harassing the various people I need to harass to try and bring about change I at least feel in myself that I am doing my bit to improve things, although I am under no illusion that I will make much of an impact into this huge problem. I cant help thinking at times though if I was say, a Muslim or maybe from the Middle East, and played the Racism Card that things might get done quicker, which although I can’t even begin to think what such people have to face on a daily basis in the way of abuse and discrimination I cant help but feel the my voice and that of the Disabled Community is not heard.

On an interesting point too, I have actually had contact with Guess Who?? Yep, you guessed it; the illusive Mr John Smith MP had stuck his head up over the parapet. It was just a coincidence mind you that he happened to write to me 4 or 5 days after I had written to not just his, Chief Whip, Party Leader, Party Chairman, Welsh Secretary, Health Secretary, Social Service Committee Chairman etc etc but also the Opposition’s equivalent too, by mistake I must add, but interestingly enough it is the opposition MP’s that have mainly responded and most of them are appalled surprisingly with the conduct of my MP and offered to have a word with him which I have interpreted as to mean “Take him round the back and rough him up a bit. Maybe break a few fingers, or better still the Horses Head in the post usually does the trick ha ha ha” Well as for the letter from Mr Smith it just said that he has passed the matter on to the relevant department at the local council, which incidentally I have done myself, whoopee dooo!! He also did say that he has no record of receiving the previous Emails I had sent. Well Mr Smith, I DO!!! And find it some what strange that you had replied to an email sent to you at that same address I had sent all the previous Emails. Just call me Mr Cynical I guess. So I will have to wait and see what help, IF ANY??? I am going to get from him. I am hoping to meet my local councillor in the next week or two to discuss the serious problems with the paving around my area too which hopefully should be fun. There are absolutely no dropped curbs within about ½ mile of my house so getting around on the scooter is impossible unless I break the law and drive on the road. Well that’s another subject for another day I guess.

Okay then I am off. But before I do just a little note to those that may be interested. My mum’s not too good at the moment, in fact she is in the Local “Miners Hospital”. She has some pretty serious problems including Fluid around the heart and blood clots on both lungs making breathing really difficult let alone anything else. The condition is quite serious although she is quite stable and comfortable. It all stemmed from a chest infection she has had for a number of weeks. I think they never helped the matter by moving her via ambulance from one hospital to another knowing she had 2 blood clots and the risks involved, in fact her heart did stop on the return journey and she had to be resuscitated, sort of proving my point really. Anyway she is comfortable as I said and would appreciate yours thoughts (and prayers if you are that way inclined) that doesn’t quite sound right does it but you know what I mean don’t you?

See Ya!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to your Mum, John. I hope she is well enough to be discharged home soon (but not before she really is ready)

Peter

Anonymous said...

wotcha

yes, disturbing isn't it. one would have thought from the way some companies go on that wheelchair users didn't exist until very recently. what will it take until they take access seriously? there's one good thing (in a vindictive sort of way): most so-called able-bodied people are only temporarily so and so will experience the legacy of their lack of action at some point...

sorry to hear about your mum. i hope she is better soon

a fellow crip

Jonny5 said...

Thanks both for your kind words and thoughts about Mum. She is, thankfully, on the right road at least and hopes to maybe be on her way home Monday, but we shall see and as you say Peter, she does need to be ready. Thankfully she has a realy good team looking after her and they will not let her go unless she is able to cope.

I do find it quite disturbing Yes, Fellow Crip. I would rather them just be honest and admit to their failings etc than to attempt to Bull s**t me that they are doing what they can and are in fact a so called leading figure in such things too. There is nothing worse i find than "Lip Service" it's so bloody irratating.

Strangely also i found it quite interesting that Cardiff, being the Capital City Of Wales, doesn't seem to have anything that resembles an "Action Group" to fight for Disabled People in these types of things. Maybe I am talking myself into another job, i don't know? I got enough on my plate keeping track on Mr Smith.

See Ya!!

Anonymous said...

wotcha,

there is cardiff and vale coalition of disabled people. don't know if they are any good, if you haven't heard of them that doesn't bode well for them does it. http://www.cvcdp.org.uk

being a solitary sod though I do a lot of my campaigning stuff on my own! getting a bit of a reputation for myself.

good luck with the twunt Smith

A Fellow Crip

Anonymous said...

blimey you blog early (or very very late!)

Jonny5 said...

Ha Ha Ha, I do tend to just wake up at weird hours with some thought or other spinning in my head that just has to be written down, hence the ungodly hour sometimes.

Crip i have had some dealings with the Vale Coalition a few years back but to be honest they are pretty crap unless you have Learning Difficulties it seems, as they tend to be well represented. I too am a bit of a Maverick and rather follow my own path although there are times when sadly the old "There's strenth in numbers" does come to play.

It's all good fun anyhow and keeps me off the streets, stopping me from robbing old grannies or the odd Jewelers to quench my thirst for Faberge Eggs.

See Ya!!