Thursday, March 1

"Every Little Helps" And I Don't Mean Tesco's


Just a small rant I think today as to be honest not a lot has happened in the 15 hours or so since the last post.

I have a bit of good news today though. I had a visit from a Financial Assessor from the Local Council, to do with the Application I have made for help around here, not just for me but for Judith too, as she needs some respite at time too after all. The main reason for her coming was to see whether I was going to at least have to pay something towards having the service, despite one of the governments manifesto pledges was to make this service free at the point of need, as they called it. I seem to think that the devolved Scottish Parliament has actually introduced this and they are having the service paid for. Well the upshot is that according to her assessment of my income (well lack of it to be more precise) minus the odd few outgoings they take into consideration such as water, gas, electric etc we are actually entitled to help “FOR FREE”. I was gob smacked actually when she told me as I was thinking of at least having to pay something towards it. On the other hand though if you saw what we actually pay out versus what we have coming in we are left after paying all the bills etc with around £100 a month to pay for food, petrol, clothing etc, so I wouldn’t know where they would have expected me to get the money from.

So a bit of help from them for a change, which is more than I can say for my Local MP John Smith. I have been emailing him along with others for the last 2 months to see whether he can give me any help in trying to if nothing else, speed up the assessment process for the Disabled Facility Grant I have applied for as they have told me that I will not even be assessed for probably around 10 months or so and that is only the first hurdle I need to overcome as there are a number of assessments involved in the process. As for John Smith he hasn’t even had the decency to acknowledge receipt of them let alone do anything about it. all the others I have asked for help have all started the ball rolling thankfully as if it was left up to him, who as he is my LOCAL MP should be acting on my behalf, then I would still be here 3 years time. The grant is actually going to be used to build a much needed single story extension comprising of a Bedroom and Bathroom on ground floor level as I have not and will not be able in the future to get upstairs. A stair lift is unfortunately out of the question and other than this we just don’t have the room to adapt the floor plan to accommodate the extra rooms downstairs as it is. The other option I guess is to move to maybe a bungalow. Well why should I have to move from where I am happy living and besides we would want to stay in the area and the bungalows are around £50k dearer than our house and that would mean a new mortgage which I wouldn’t get anyhow due to not being able to work. So I guess you can understand the need to get this grant sorted out for all our sanity. I have written AGAIN to Mr Smith today this time, shall I say that I was pretty up front and pulled no punches in what I felt about his lack of support and help in this matter and wait eagerly for his reply although I have the impression that I will not receive one, what do you think??

Okay I better get my beauty sleep as I want to look my best for Merlin tomorrow don’t I?

See Ya!!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I just checked out your MP on one of my favourite sites called "theyworkforyou.com". You are right in assuming Smithy boy is a lazy arse.

The website states:

"Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to 13% – 40% of messages during 2005, according to polling data — well below average amongst MPs."

"Has voted in 55% of votes in parliament — well below average amongst MPs."

So as well as ignoring his constituents, he is only in parliament about half the time he should be.

Tut tut - naughty man.

Love
Sis
XX

Anonymous said...

wotcha

what a kak MP. Perhaps send him a letter recorded delivery. Then he can't claim he hasn't got it and may be forced to do something!

There again, if he can't even be arsed to read his own email, maybe he won't do anything even if he does have the courtesy to at least acknowledge your letter...

a fellow crip

Jonny5 said...

i saw the same figures Sis. The thing that really REALLY irritates me is that he is always being filmed espesially after St Athan winning the new Training Academy recently a matter of yards from my front door. He makes such a point about how good he is for the community. As Jim Royal would say, "MY ARSE"!!!

Not heard from you in a while fellow crip, now you not avoiding me are you? Ahhhh, Maybe you are the illusive Mr J Smith MP?......
I was thinking the other day about writing to him too and will probably get round to it this week some time, not that i think he will respond. You will have to check the blog later on as i was going to post the recent email that i sent to him.

See Ya!!