Wednesday, March 7

Well I did it!!

I was up bright and early yesterday morning to set off on my adventure off into uncharted territory, well Cardiff anyway!! As I was saying the other day I was a little apprehensive to say the least having not used the train for what must be about 15 years or so as an able bodied person let alone in a wheelchair/scooter. I arrived on the deserted platform 10 mins or so before the train was due and found just one other person waiting. Well they must have all been waiting in their cars or something as about 2 mins before the train was due you couldn’t see the platform it was so full. A really nice man came up and started chatting to me asking if I had been on with the scooter before and after telling him no he said “don’t worry son, it’s really easy. When the train arrives I’ll go tell the driver and he will come out with a ramp and you can get on and park it up in your own special area in the carriage”. What a nice man I thought. Well he kept his word because no sooner had the train arrived but the ticket collector was standing there ramp in hand. He put it down and on I went. All the other passengers moved to make room for me to get the scooter in position, or maybe they had just seen my driving before, ha ha. After asking where I was getting off he went and rang Central Station to get them to have the ramp to hand when we arrive. Off he went and left me busy nattering away to a few people around me who were all nice and chatty considering it was an ungodly hour of the morning for me as I’m usually still asleep now. When he came back to sort out a ticket for me he was having a right time of it getting the right discount which incidentally is a whopping 50% off if you remain seated in your wheelchair etc. He found it eventually after lots of playing around just in time to arrive in Cardiff. As planned the man with the ramp was there ready for me. After helping me off he showed me where the lift was to get downstairs and I was off into town to met up with sis and a bit of retail therapy and of course a bite to eat in the shape of a bacon buttie obviously. For research purposes you understand. Bearing in mind up till now I have had the best treatment possible by all the staff at Arriva trains, but it sort of stopped when we went into Maddisons in St David’s Centre Cardiff sadly. Oh, they were great at taking your money, well actually my little sis’s money, but when the Bacon and Mushroom Sarnie’s turned up it was not a pretty sight at all. Between us we had no more than one small mushroom, that’s 2 slices each, and 1 ½ rashers of Bacon. Well if that wasn’t bad enough it was absolutely stone cold. Well after complaining I sent mine back demanding at least a warm one. Well it duly arrived a few minutes later 2 nice big rashers of Bacon and Heaps and Heaps of Mushrooms and it was nice and hot, much to my sister’s annoyance as she had gone ahead and ate her’s ha ha!!! At least the coffee was nice I guess. I tell you what I found driving around on the scooter in Cardiff is the state of the pavements are horrific and downright dangerous in places. Every crossing they have put the obligatory ramps but there is still a step of around 2 inches to get up or down making it very difficult to negotiate. The other thing which in some ways is a bit more serious and that’s the number of shops etc that are absolutely not accessible by wheelchair at all due to steps etc. How are they getting away with it still since the introduction of the revamped Disability Regulations?? It’s disgraceful and I have told the local council amongst others today of exactly that fact today. If Mr Smith is anything to go by though I won’t get any replies.

Okay it was back on the train now to continue on my way to Coryton to George Thomas Hospice for my Relaxation Session. Yet again this went as smooth as clockwork. Ramps ready staff really helpful etc etc the only thing missing was physically having the Red Carpet to drive on but I sure as hell had the service. I had a bit of a nightmare when getting out of the Station at Coryton because of the state of the old paving etc but that was not within the realms of Arriva Trains and was soon overcome. I arrived just a little early for my session but was going to have a cuppa while I waited. Well I’ll be buggered!! The session had been cancelled HA HA HA!!! After all that I stumbled at the last hurdle. They had attempted to ring the day before apparently to let me know but I had changed my phone the other day so they had the wrong number. So back to the station to start off on my way back home after ringing Judith to let her know the good news that I will need picking up a bit earlier. The return trip was actually even better, if that’s possible. I guess it felt a bit better just because of the fact of staying in the station in Cardiff for the connection to get me back home to Llantwit Major. The last ticket collector actually sat down and had a natter pretty much most of the way back as the train was quiet. Another very very nice man!!!

So back at home and in 2 minds as to how to feel the day went really. On the one hand the service from Arriva Trains and meeting up with my little Sis and the eventual hot Bacon Sarnie was all great but the overall state of trying to negotiate my way around the obstacle course that is Cardiff Town Centre was to say the least a huge let down. After the fact that they are seen to be a very progressive, forward thinking council this was completely unacceptable. I think though it was a great adventure all in and I know that it won’t be another 15 years before I use the train again, in fact I was thinking on the journey back of all the places I could go even locally and at 50% discount would probably work out cheaper than putting fuel in my Gas Guzzler and also safer if I was to use Tesco’s or Morrison’s filling stations.

I will try in a while to post a few piccy’s of the journey, but I need a bit of a rest at the moment and you probably do too after reading this mammoth post yet again!!!

See Ya!!

p.s “Arrive In Style, Arrive By Train” my new motto.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And what is even better than a bacon sarine, a bacon & mushroom version! And clearly great minds think alike as I had a bacon & mushroom sarnie this morning too. Mine was home cooked though. Glad your complaint brought an improvement! Serving that first version was an insult!

Anonymous said...

wotcha,

really glad the journey at least went well, even if the objective didn't work out! sorry for worrying you unnecessarily the other day.

you might want to watch out on other journeys as it very much depends on the train company whether they will let you on with a scooter, see http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/disabled_passengers/scooters.htm (top marks to Arriva Wales it seems)

cheers

a fellow crip

Anonymous said...

try again

http://snipurl.com/1cbi3

a fellow crip

Ruth said...

Hey bro.

One thing you forgot to mention - the shops weren't great for riding around in, but every shop we went in, a member of staff asked if you needed any help. That was unusually nice of them.

See you soon.

Love
Sis
XX

Jonny5 said...

Hi Peter, yeah i thought it was a mortal sin to serve up such a thing of beauty as a Bacon Sarnie in that condition. A Real disgrace. Sadly i can't seem to find their Email Address so i will have to get round to using the old Snail Mail to let them know that.

Yo Crip, no need to appologise my friend i'm glad you did mention it as it made me double and tripple check whether i was going to come accross any problems. I was thinking that it was probably totally dependant on whatever company e.g Arriva was running the service as to what service you would get. I suppose most of mine would be within south wales (covered by Arriva) with maybe an outside chance of a visit to one of the other main city's such as London, Birmingham, Clacton etc whom i would think would have decent facilities that is provided as you have pointed out whether i could actually get to these places on my scooter. The rules are pretty vague to say the least. Most it's down to size which mine comes well within the dimentions but others are assesed by Max Speed?? Weight, Height etc etc. I also had a look at your Web Site the other day too. Impressive indeed. I never realised you were such a Media Personality, with all these Appearences. Good on you!!

Yey Little Sis, yeah the shops were a bit weird. It's as if they have sorted out the Staff issues as in attitude etc but not bothered with the Access issue's in a whole lot of places which if you think it through makes no sense at all, cos if they can't get in they can't be treated helpfully!!!! I think if it was say, a smaller town centre and not the sprawling Cardiff City Centre, then it would be seen as having made major improvements in this area. but it's the fact that it is Cardiff makes it seem like they just haven't bothered at all. It was nice to meet up after what seems like ages even though you had to experience that Bacon Sarnie. I'm not sure how you managed to eat all them Mushrooms too, you greedy thing you!! Ha Ha Ha!!

See Ya Guys!!

Anonymous said...

Yo Cous

You must have enjoyed your day as you didn't complain once that the session had been cancelled!!!!!Well done you did it.
I do not like maddisons best place to go is the church in Park Place. Only small but lovely fresh cheap food. Very friendly people too. Used to meet with Michaela there too for a chat during her lunch hour. Must contact her too
Take care

Fav cous