Saturday, April 21

Boccia Or Bust!!

I dragged Judith out yesterday for a few hours, screaming and kicking as usual. I do wish she didn’t do that as it’s so embarrassing when we’re out. It Was suggested by my Social Worker a while ago that I might like to try out some of the facilities on offer at the nearest local, some 10 miles away, Day centre called “New Horizons” so yesterday we went and did just that. It is set in this rather nice Grade 2 Listed Building which used to be an old Teacher Training College. It brought back so many memories of the schools I had been to when growing up with the Parquet Floor throughout and that distinctive smell. You know the one, it’s kind of like a medicinal, almost Detol like odour. We had a good long chat with the Day Centre Manager Sue, although she, like everyone else will soon have to change her name so she is more in keeping with the rest of the characters on the blog, I’m sorry!! I guess if I hadn’t kept opening my mouth she could have told us all about whets on offer etc in about 20 minutes but you know what I’m like, give me an audience and I’m away, blabbing out my life story. If you read this Sue I am sorry for inflicting myself on you like that!! She took us on a tour of the building then to see first hand what there was to do as well as meet up with some of the other “Service Users” as they refer to the other Crips like myself. They all seemed like a right jolly, easy going bunch of people and right up my street. They have a load on offer too. Things such as, Exercise classes, good for the mobility, relaxation, much needed after the exercise classes ha ha!! A whole list of alternative treatment sort of like, reflexology, massage etc. There is what most people would think of things like craft making, Bingo and they do have trips out for lunch etc. They also take part in a sport called “Boccia”, very similar to the French game Boules, and they are very good at it by the look of it, having won various competitions. I can remember playing this game probably around 14=15 years ago when I was supporting people with learning difficulties in Cardiff as they used to play in a local leisure centre. The sport was very young then and the very little I remember of it was that it was more of a therapy/social thing than a competitive sport although it was fun. I will look forward to having a go at this, who knows I might just be good enough to take place in the Olympics one day. Isn’t Boccia an Olympic sport then?? I’m heading back there in a fortnight for the day hopefully to try out a bit more so I will have to brush up on my Boccia Skills.

I think there are a number of things I might like to do there and not just eat the food as some might think, as they have a Bistro there and the food is pretty good and cheap too so I’ve been told. I’ll have to convince the chef to try out the delights of the various Bacon Sarnie concoctions that have discussed on here and Peters Blog too lately. Then there are the Chinese dishes and the Suet Puddings, not to mention the Faggots and Liver & Bacon etc. I must stop this as its no good for my waistline. Oh yes!!! Did I tell you about being weighed when I went to see Merlin the other day?? Well, they had to weigh me as I hadn’t been weighed since I came out of Heath Towers the last time 5 months and 3 days ago but who’s counting? I was 12 ½ stone then. Well as I’ve been feeling a little, say, and plump of late, I thought that I had maybe put on a few pounds or so. When I got onto the scales the moan of displeasure that came from them should have told me that all was not well. I now weigh……………………..wait for it…………………….. 14 stone 13 pounds. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fat Git!!! I guess it’s gilled bacon from now on and also no more Chinese. We will see how long that lasts, I don’t hold out much hope. At least I can still have the odd packet or 3 of my favourite snack of the moment, Quavers as they are surprisingly low in calories, around 180 a packet I think. I could always try and give Mum some of my excess as she is still loosing lots of weight as she’s not eating much at all, but at least she’s home and not having to face the Hospital Slop they serve up. Dads tempting her with Cream Scones and stuff too, naughty but nice, and like Peter she is on the Supplements too, to at least stop the loss.

Right then that’s enough for now. Time to get up and watch some more cookery programmes just to wind me up!!

See Ya!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take a few pounds off you - I'm still hovering at around the 10 stone mark! (Enjoyed my bacon, mushrooms and sausages for breakfast though!)

As for Olympics, or sport, how about starting the first mobility scooter grand-prix? There must be scope for tuning them!

Take care... - onwards and upwards!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes - delighted to hear that your Mum is doing well - please give her my best wishes...

Jonny5 said...

the scooter grand prix is a great idea. i'm getting out my spanners now to tweak around with the motor. your best wishes have been passed on and gratefully recieved. she does say to say thank you and she is also pleased to hear about all your latest good news too. hopefully she will be back on the www before long too.

See Ya!!