Saturday, April 28

The Week That Was!!

So what’s been happening this week all together, I don’t hear you ask? Well it’s tough I’m gonna tell you whether you want to listen or not.

The week started off just great. Remember I had said earlier about being given 6hrs care at home? Well we had employed a friend of ours to come and do the work etc. All was going fine for the first 2 weeks until she turned up on Monday only to quit and walk out. She had some emotional issues regarding my illness that she wasn’t comfortable with apparently. So it’s back to square one there. We have managed to employ another Personal Assistant who also is a friend and she starts next Monday, so hopefully this will work out a little better this time.

Tuesday was quite a busy day in all although I never went out of the house till about 6.30pm. The re-enablement team came back for a 3 month assessment in the morning. They could see that all is not well in the health and mobility department, so much so that I am in a worse condition than before they started working with me 3 months ago. They left, a lot more depressed than before they cam that’s for sure. It was nice to see them again though. They are hopefully going to see if their OT can do anything about this grant etc I have applied for as well as all the other bits and pieces like the Door Intercom, front ramp etc… We then had a visit from the newly employed Welfare Rights Officer from George Thomas Hospice to try and sort out all the problems with the benefits etc. Although it was a useful visit it was a bit of a waste for him. When we had arranged this some 2 weeks ago all was not well with the benefits. We were waiting on the Social Service and the Local Council to get their acts together and make a decision but on Friday last week both of these decided that we were entitled to the benefits and paid up at last so he wasn’t needed so much. Still at least we know now that we are getting everything we are entitled too at the moment. The local Labour Councillor, John Thomas came in the evening to have a look and discuss the complete lack of sloping curbs where I live. I had hoped to be able to get around on my scooter with him but of all days it decided to blinking rain, so we had to go in my car. He marked down all the places I had pointed out to him and others I hadn’t also as we made our way around. We have some problems though as because the estate is Ex-RAF and we have a management committee for which we pay a maintenance charge for stuff like lighting and grass cutting etc, not all of the roads and paths have been adopted by the council. There are a number of places which just happen to be at Key crossing areas where the slope one side is the responsibility of the Council and the opposite side is the Estate Managements responsibility which is going to be difficult. Although meeting him was of some good though as he is also one of the many people I had contacted hopefully to help with the OT assessment I’m trying to get. He could see first hand my condition etc, so much so that I think I had scarred him to death with my breathing difficulties in getting out to the car etc. He did say that he will get on to the people who can chase things up to pull their finger out.

Nearly there honestly. Wednesday was a trip to Heath Towers to sort out my dodgy Hearing Aid. It was pretty uneventful really. I turned up ½ hour early, sat in the waiting room till 5 mins after my appointment time, went into his room where he gave me the new pre programmed one then I was off home. All over in 20 seconds. I wish all my appointments were like that. Sometimes just getting blood from me can take longer than the overall time it took from when I left home to when I got back.

Wednesday as well, as you know we went and picked up the loveable pooches from the dogs home. They’re settling in great. We’ve managed to get them booked in for a pamper session at a beauty parlour nearby next week. They’re getting the works done. Shampoo, conditioner, hair and nails clipped, glands emptied, ears cleaned and probably will come out with neat little bows tied around their necks too. The week after though, they are having their bits done and I have this impression that they won’t like me as much after that, not that I blame them.

Apart from a trip into the local shopping centre for a few odds and ends yesterday that was it this week really. The Immunoglobulins are hopefully doing their job and keeping infections at bay although I haven’t felt quite right for a few days. My chest is somewhat wheezy and a bit phlegmy and I am feeling a lot more tired than usual. Both Judith and Tara have had colds for a while so I think I most probably have picked it up from them. I really must try and make sure is doesn’t get any worse as it’s Tara’s 21st birthday on the 5th May and she’ll kill me if I’m in hospital again as I was for her 18th birthday.

So it’s no visitors, no going out the door, no eating in case I have something dodgy……..NAH!!!! Boring bugger!! Life’s Too Short.

See Ya!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's strange isn't it, how some people are uncomfortable with issues like illness - I guess because they are afraid of what might happen to them. I found a similar thing when I started doing the listening and breavement training with Leukaemia care - confrontation of serious illness reminds people of their own mortality - something that 'we' (as in people) prefer to ignore. Many people also have internal (unresolved) issues about bereavement experiences too, again as I have found from teaching the course. However all those that have had issues have all said that confronting them on a course, although upsetting at the time, did give them a sense of peace and perspective. (and of course you and I have had to seolve these issues personally!)

While I'm sad that you have been inconvenienced by the PA leaving, I have some sympathy for the person involved, who has the issues which at some point they will probably have to confront.

Jonny5 said...

You are indeed right Peter. some people i have known in the past and indeed right now still, have difficulty dealing with the whole emotion thing that comes hand in hand with the physical effect i guess. I do, like yourself have some sympathy for her and bear no malice obviously. It isn't the end of the earth and i know she will be beating herself up far worse than i could ever do over this no matter what i say to stop it.

See Ya!!