Sunday, April 15

Top –Up Successful!!

6 weeks has finally come around and time for the usual dose of Immunoglobulins at Heath Towers. However much I don’t particularly like this visit, mainly because you have to sit connected up to the Drip Dragon for 3-4 hours. I have noticed the last few months that around a week to 10 days before the Immunoglobulins are due I start to feel a little run down and my chest is a little worse and quite often a runny hose too, so have decided to have the next dose in 5 weeks time and not 6. Merlin doesn’t know this yet, unless he reads this I suppose, but I will be seeing him on Tuesday anyway. He has in the past said I could have them every week if need be so there shouldn’t be a problem.

Okay then the visit…. Arriving just a little early for my appointment I was greeted by the lovely receptionist Hazel in her new little office. They have changed around the layout, not for the better I think really, as she is now somewhat cut off from the rest of the day unit which is very much open plan. The delightful Jane was going to be responsible for chucking the obligatory darts at me today, god help her, AND ME!! As usual there was no room at the inn and ended up slumming it in the old treatment room where you have to sit next to rotten corpses and other skeletons of past patients who went in and were never seen again. The skull & crossbones on the door and the huge vulture sat in the corner should have put me off I guess, but I took my chances. Right, sitting comfy??? Ummm NO!! Time for Jane to get some target practice. So, arrow in hand she picks out the only feeble vein stupid enough to poke up, aims then fires,,OUCHHHHHH!!!!! Bloody missed it, so a little wiggling around and then the inevitable happened, she popped it, so a nice huge bruise to look forward to tomorrow. Okay 2nd time lucky. After a damn good beating on my hand, Jeeeez she’s got a heavy hand, I pity her kids when they were growing up being smacked by her, she aimed, shot and………….BLOODY MISSED AGAIN!! Another bruise after she popped that one too. This was beginning to irritate now as I don’t like them at the best of times but I’m not too bad if they get it in first or even second time. After 4 more attempts she managed to get one in the back of my hand. Phew!!! After connecting me up to the Drip Dragon we set about trying to get me a little more comfortable if that was possible. The odd pillow ruffle here and there etc. Whilst doing this I caught something out the corner of my eye and had to look twice. Arggg there was blood squirting out my wrist, where the Venflon, that sat there on the bed next to me, used to be. I can tell you I used some rather strong language to express me feelings at that time. Right then I thought. This is your last chance. If you don’t get one in now I am going to ask for a change of archer. So a quick wipe of the specs, and crouched down ready for the kill. I could see the outright concentration on her face. There were beads of sweat running off it and dripping down onto the target zone but it didn’t phase her in the slightest. She waited for exactly the right moment then let go her arrow. We were both praying for success as it hurtled through the air. Success it in, well sort of anyway. It was the most awkward place right in the crook of my elbow and it would only go in halfway until it hit a valve and refused to go any further. She flushed it to make sure all was okay and then started the first of the 3 bottles I was having. Because of the dodgy situation the Venflon was in I had strict orders to absolutely NOT MOVE MY ARM!!!!! What, you think I would move it and risk having to let you try and stick another arrow in me somewhere else?? After all the hassle getting going the rest of the time went off without a hitch, thankfully and 4 hours later we were off home.

So, back home and time to read through the latest correspondence from Mr Smith. Yes he has actually written to me eventually. I will have to let you know what he said later when I’ve taken it in.

Some other good news too. Mum’s home at last. She is not too good still as in she is still getting out of breath on very little exertion etc but her blood counts are all stable now. She will need to have some physio etc at home to build up some strength and lots of sit ups and press ups which I know she will love doing. “No Pain, No Gain Mother”!!!

See Ya!!

No comments: