Tuesday, June 6

Not A Good Day!!

I woke up this morning feeling really under the weather. I felt like I was bunged up with a cold, runny nose, sore throat, coughing up loads of lovely matter that no one should have to look at YUCK!!!. I had an appointment as you know at the PUVA department so to speak before going to listen to the latest musings of Merlin. I really didn’t feel up to going for PUVA so I phoned up and explained how I was feeling and cancelled for today. Hopefully I will be able to make it either Wednesday or Friday I have to ring them to re arrange. I did however keep the appointment with the Wizard as I was hoping he could give me one off his special potions to cure this latest ailment. He was obviously pleased to see me as always although I think he soon wasn’t when I mentioned that I was pretty bad at the moment as in not just the skin thing but the recent start of coughing up that nasty stuff and runny nose etc… I did tell him that at least my temperature is still normal so I have no fever as such. He did the usual thing of informing me that if it does go up I have to come in straight away which I know anyhow but I guess he wouldn’t be doing his job if he didn’t tell me. He’s increased the dosage on some of my medications and also added in another anti biotic to deal with this latest cough etc which hopefully will do the trick. The swine decided to punish me then by sending me for a Chest X-ray which meant having to wait around for a porter to take me there as there is no way I would have made it there alive in my state. Then when that was done I had to walk the some 100 yards back to the Pharmacy department for the drugs and then get them to phone for a porter to take me back to the car and when you have to wait at least ½ hour for each porter it becomes a real nightmare.

On top of all that I really feel down again today. A lot is to do with not feeling too well at the moment but I find when I start to get down all the negative feelings start to come back. Things like the lack of independence and the feelings of worthlessness etc suddenly become big issues. Also I find I become very emotional at times like this too and have sobbed most of the day too. I know I have joked in the past about it being my Little Sister’s fault by giving me here female genes but times like this I think there may be something truthful in that because I never used to be that I way at all. I think I will never really come to terms with the lack of independence as it is just part of me that won’t change but eventually I get forced into it by things out of my control. Judith always say’s to me to try and see it another way as in make the most of being SPOILT by being pushed around and not as negative. I know she is right in what she is saying but I’m just too blinking stubborn for my own good.

Some of my problems stem from when I was first diagnosed with Leukaemia, (do you know what I cant ever remember actually writing LEUKAEMIA at all in any of my blogs so far aint that weird??), well the prognosis I was given then if I went through with the Transplant from my sister was that I would be back to having a normal life again as in working and actually living again in 6-12 months. Well as you see here I am 2 1/2 years on and things in a lot of ways are actually worse not better. I must say that Judith has always said that it will take more like 5-6 years to be back to normal and she is a lot nearer in her estimation than anyone else I think. The thing is when you are that low and vulnerable so to speak you tend to cling on to anything positive that you can and to be honest a lot of people are like me and are brought up too think that the doctor knows best so what he says is truth so when they say that about the timescale thing I jumped on it thinking at least it is worth just giving up that much of my life then I can get back to normal etc. little did I know or the Medical Staff for that matter that I would end up with so many problems along the way and still today that to be frank I will never have what I used to call a normal life again and the only normal life possible for me now is full of compromises. I guess what I am trying to say is that my impression of normal before all this is nowhere near the same as my impression of normal now, also what I would have taken for granted before has become at times either impossible or a long term goal to achieve, things like walking more than 50 yards without getting out of puff and needing to sit down etc…

I guess the upshot of this is should the doctors actually tell you that. surely as this is actually not curable it is in fact for life as I know from first hand experience that even after 15 years in remission it can rear its ugly head again as a very good friend of mine Ron found out to his cost. God I really miss him at times still he was like a mentor to me and helped me all through my initial investiture into The Club Of The Baldies!!

I must admit all this negative stuff when I am having a good day, I see it as all positive and it actually spurs me to do more and try and push myself to get through this nut when like this last day or so I am not coping quite well it suddenly become all negative and bad and the worlds going to end etc… It is like I said to the lovely Cath who sucked my dry of my Red Goods at the clinic and also tortured me by squirting this horrible salty water up my hooter to get a sample, to which I repaid her by leaving her a lovely fresh sample of my infamous Slimy Green Chest Gooo, that “You Need Fight To Fight” and at the moment I am all out of fight that’s all. A short spell of self pity usually results in a new spark of enthusiastic self belief so keep watching this space for the new me appearing hopefully soon.

Till Then,

See Ya!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

John - I can only guess how you feel - it sounds as if all your "get up and go" has got up and gone without you! My dark moments came (and occasionally still do) at about 3 in the morning "What if it doesn't work..." "What if it comes back..." etc - I guess you have been there too, but I hope that it all seems better in the morning!

But you are right about compromises and medic's forecasts. Thet say it's the art of medicine, and while they can predict averages, individuals vary. I remember my consultant telling me that the mortality rate for my transplant was about 15% - huh??? I'm either alive or I'm not - not 85% alive! Same as the cure statistics (whatever cure means - I'll dwell on that in a mo) which are 30% to 40% - 40% cured - what does that mean?! Ok - I know really - out of 1000 patents (across all tghe range of ages and general health between 300 and 400 will respond. And yes, 5 years is considered a long term remission, but as you say, there is always that thought...

But - meanwhile, we are alive, and while your QoL (Quality of Life) is not all it might be and there are compromises to make - hang on in there and fight the good fight - lots of people need you (Tara and Judith to name by two!)

And (I noticed you have a link to them) there are always our friends at LeukaemiaCare (but if you are going to ring them, make it soon, otherwise you might get me on the end of the phone - how scary is that?)

Seriously - we are all rooting for you - and I hope today is turning out better! ONWARDS AND FOREVER UPWARDS!

PS - ever had that vacuum thing stuck up your hooter to get a sinus sample? - a few milliseconds of agony if ever there was any! Makes my nose shrink just thinking about it!

Jonny5 said...

Thank you for your kind thoughts. you are right i do get the old what if it comes back thing quite often and i suppose i always will too. The thing with this dicease is that they wont actually tell you that your cured only that you are in remission which is not quite the same thing really so that leaves you with the thoughts of it returning.

i tell you what i find funny about mortality rates is that they vary from country to country which is weird. i remember when i finally got home after the original diagnosis and subsequent treatment which was around 3 months in Heath Towers one of the first things i did after reading my 300 odd emails was to search for Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on Google. the first site it listed if i remember rightly stated that the mortality rate was around 85% and that was an American site. when i went to a few more sites of American origin they all quoted around the same figure and stated that all was doom and gloom. However when i finally stumbled on a UK based site it was completely different and the mortality rate was down to around 50%. This was quite reassuring at the time as I was begining to think that i had no chance really.

Do you know i have never done so much as look at the LeukaemiaCare web site although i know they do a sterling job. It would be strange to have you on the end of the phone having to put up with my rantings. I pity you in advance and appollogise in advance too just in case i need to ring them in the future and get you on the line.ha ha!!

Talking about the old suction up thhe hooter i had one of them on monday. That must be about the 20th to date and yeah i totally agree with you there is nothing quite like it for instant agony that is apart from the time many years ago now when i wasn't given enough local anesthetic whilst having a Vasectomy. Now doesnt that make you r eyes water at the thought?? it sure did that to me and much more let me tell you.

Thanks for you support too as to be honest it really does help. i know its easy to make such a statement but it all helps to give me something to fight for apart from all the usual things like Family etc although that in itself is reason enough to fight on and not let this beast win.

oops this is turning into a blog on its own ha ha

See Ya!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes - I did a google search on mantle cell lymphoma about a year after I was diagnosed. The (American) site said prognosis was about 3 years... at that stage the medics thought I had already had the disease for about 3 years (undetected) and I felt as fit as a fiddle - and 6 years on, I'm still here!

Not had the vasectomy - think the total body radiation 2 years renders it unecessary! O&U!!

Anonymous said...

Just realised that I posted under anonymous at the top!!