Monday, November 13

Just Thoughts!!

Well successfully thorough another weekend of endless boredom and frustration at Heath Towers.

I managed to try and do a few exercises occasionally that the physio had left me instructions on throughout the week end as they are not around at all.  It has helped a little I hope although I won’t know till they come later, whether it has made a difference to my walking like it has every other week end. One of the problems I have is that I do at times find it hard to motivate myself to get up off my bum and do them.  We arranged for them to come in the morning along with the afternoon walking just for this point really, as I associate seeing them with exercising, not that they look like rowing machines or exercise bikes or anything.  In fact one is a Toyah Wilcox look alike  complete with bright Ginger Spiky hair and the other is Sporty Spice who has a cross to bear coming from Bristol but she copes with it well, love her..  I think it’s a vital part of the requirements of the job that you have a bit of a cruel, sadistic streak in you to enable you to get the most from your patients, but whips and electric prods these two use strikes me as a bit too much, especially when they have great big grins on their faces when using them.  I’m just glad at the moment that they are not yet regular readers of the blog or else I think my punishment rate might increase a hell of a lot.  But I just thought what about all the nurses that do read it.  OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!  Ah well if you hear screaming emanating from my room later on you know I’ve been grassed up and am undertaking intense physio..

For a while now I have had this arrangement with Judith that whenever I am in Heath Towers she has one day off so to speak that she doesn’t come in to see me.  It is usually a Sunday and she uses the time to catch up on the housework and her other love in life Ironing Ha Ha Ha!!  Well for a change as she is really quite run down and generally worn out we decided that she would have Sunday and Monday off.  She made sure on Saturday that I was well stocked up on everything I would need for the few days like drinks and snacks etc etc.  Over time I have got used to this and I just tend to chill out in front of the goggle box or mess around on the computer to pass the time, but this week has been quite strange.  It’s now Monday morning and  the prospect of not seeing Judith till tomorrow is a little upsetting.  It’s only another 24 hours for god sake, but it’s just that I’m not used to not seeing her that’s all.  My mum and dad will be in later on which will be nice.  I really do look forward to them coming in and not just because she brings me in lots of nice goodies like the Stew and Dumplings she’s bringing in today, but because it gives me a chance to catch up on all the family stuff and my dad has this great gift of always being able to make me smile and laugh with some of things he says and does.  I’m counting the minutes.

This weekend as you know was Remembrance weekend.  Although I would never class myself as some sort of royalist I really do and always have enjoyed all the pomp and ceremony of these sorts of military arranged events.  The pride a lot of the older generation shows through when they all proudly participate at the Royal British Legion event the Albert Hall on Saturday and then again as they march past the cenotaph on Sunday morning.  It’s such a moving sight to watch them all old and young proudly displaying their medals and trying there hardest to march perfectly in time with their comrades.  It always causes mixed emotions seeing the old Chelsea Pensioners as although they are such a sight to see, each year there seems to getting less and less of them.  You can just imagine some of the stories and tales they all have to tell about there experiences.  I think, well certainly for people of my generation any how, that it is quite hard to really know what it would be like to actually live through a war.  I know there have been and in fact are wars still happening but in some way they are distant to most people as they are being carried out in far away lands and there are no bombs landing in your street etc.  If you think about it, I don’t think that today’s generation will cope with it as well as they did in say WW2.  one of the reasons I think is that back then there was still a feeling of being in a community, and to everyone it was perfectly normal for people to help each other, whereas today we have all become some what insular and don’t seem to want or need that sort of lifestyle.  

Okay then I better give me fingers a rest as the physio should be around soon dish out the first punishment of the week.

See Ya!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well John
You must have been bored you have posted twice. I hope the physio didn't work you too hard after she came just as you were finishing your stew, but no dumplings this time. with all that nurishment you should have got to the lifts this time. THE SECOND SET OF LIFTS Ha Ha Ha.
See you soon what is the next thing you want for dinner!!!!!!