Tuesday, March 14

Hair Today Gone Tomorrow

Hair Today Gone Tomorrow!!

As I guess a lot of you will recall all the bodily parts this dreaded lurgy has cruelly raped me of.  Such things as Lung Function well Barely being able to breathe unaided at times and exercise being totally out the question, then there’s the Hearing, Teeth, Eyesight and the loss of hair including my famous Dennis Healy Eyebrows ha ha!!

Well instead of just sitting back and letting it get away with it, well why bloody should I? I’ve tried to get back some of it all be it in an artificial way maybe, like False Teeth and Hearing Aids and Glasses and as for my lungs well apart from the oxygen there isn’t a lot I can do on that score. But up till now I’ve sort of just lived with the fact that I will prob never again have a full head of hair as due to the Chemo and the many bouts of Graft Versus Host Disease I’ve had and are having it seems to have irretrievably damaged my hair follicles in such a way that my hair is trying its hardest to grow back in what can only be described as a monks style.  Nothing on top and at the back just like a ring around the side and as well when it does manage to grow it actually comes back Ginger and Curly unlike my Straight and Blonde hair prior to this thanks to my Sister.  I’ve got this what can only be described as a Gorbachev Splat on top of my head too as the GVHD has messed around with the pigmentation in my skin something rotten more so on my head and face.  My face at times can look like I’ve fallen asleep in the sun with my face under a colander.

Well I finally decided yesterday, I know I’m gonna have a wig. Why not? They will provide you with 2 to get on with on the NHS.  So I asked to see the wig books on the ward yesterday and they were all laughing at me and looking at me in a very strange way.  They NEVER get asked by male patients apparently for a wig which I don’t find that unusual I guess although there surely must be men out there that are more conscious than myself about there appearance?? Yeah I know that most develop like me a good range of hats, one for all occasions bit like my grand mother used to be.  Well surprise, surprise there were no Men’s designs in sight so I had to trawl through all the Women’s ones and try and find one I can adapt.  I’ve always fancied the sort of surfer look you know the one all one length to the shoulder slightly wavy and blonde, but the thought of having to try and grow my fringe for years to catch up to the rest of my hair always put me off so I never bothered.  Well this is my chance I thought!!  So trawling through I had the choice of well one actually as there were a few that were the right sort of thing but the fringes had all been cut quite short which defeats the object really.  The one I choose is way too long in fact I think it’s the longest one in the book probably comes to halfway down my back but it was the only one with a full length fringe and a wave to it so it will have to be styled and well cut back to suit my demure face anyway!!!  I choose the colour too its called Butterscotch Blonde, not far from my previous colour I think but then my eyesight is knackered don’t forget!!  I just got to wait for the “Wig Lady” to contact me now when it’s ready to come and fit it I guess and then I will probably go through it with her about the exact thing that I’m after if this one can’t be adapted to my requirements that is.  Then there’s the subject of the second wig now my mind is racing!!!!  I think it’s going to be a toss up between a nice Electric Blue Number or a Bright Pink Mohican to go with my Lipstick and High Heels on the weekend thanks to my Sisters Stem Cells..


See Ya!!

No comments: