Tuesday, March 21

I've Been Had!!

For what seems like years, Eons in fact I have been coming back and fore at least once a week to the Hospital for whatever reason and almost religiously paying the minimum parking Fee of £2.10.  The thing is I can claim it back so to be honest I only pay it out for a couple of hours then get it back the same day so I don’t mind.  Lately I’ve noticed that there are more and more people who park in the disabled bays and just display their badges and don’t bother buying a ticket so I began to think well what the hell why bother.  Well the answer to why bother I found out today. I GOT A BLOODY PARKING TICKET!!!  He must have been hiding in the bushes waiting to pounce because when I got out of the car the time was 10.45am and the ticket was issued at 10.46am.  Well when I finished my thing with the lovely Dr Ermesh I went over to the parking control office to try and plead all innocence.  Unfortunately they informed me that they don’t have the authority to cancel the ticket and that I should write in and appeal so I’ll have to let you know what becomes of this later if I remember that is!!

If you like me have been watching the harrowing tale of the 6 men who have been taken very ill after taking part in a clinical trial and also of the 2 men who were given a placebo too as they must be suffering emotionally too, I cant help but think of the long term effect on people who volunteer for these types of things.  More so I guess as this trial was directly involved in the treatment of Leukaemia and worked on the T-Cells which I have come to know a bit about in my journey along this twisty highway.   It makes you think, what if over all these years other people had not come forward to volunteer their bodies so to speak to aid research??  Maybe I wouldn’t be here writing this now if it wasn’t for them.  You see it’s not all that long ago that treatment of leukaemia was pretty basic to say the least and generally involved mostly palliative care rather than drug intervention.  So I have a lot to thank these people for.  speaking to one of the nurses at the day unit who incidentally is closely involved in the clinical trials and research here she was saying that the trials here would have already gone through the Phase One side of it which is what these men were taking part in and that there really are a lot of people that at the end of the day are only doing it for the money which sometimes can run in to a couple of thousand and in fact most have already spent it before they start.  I suppose they are relying on people’s greed and as a result will always have an endless supply of people queuing up to volunteer.  I must admit that quite a few years ago I was seriously thinking of doing just that when times were a bit hard although I seriously thought through the long term risks and health pros and cons and decided against it.  Was it the right decision bearing in mind all I’ve been through the last couple of years? Well that’s the Million Dollar Question????

See Ya !!!

No comments: