Wednesday, October 11

Edible?

Well I thought I would start off today�s posting on a low note and see if it
gets any better towards the end although I kind of think it will probably
get worse if past experience is anything to go by.

After some deep searching of the one remaining grey cell left I have decided
to talk about a subject very close to my heart and also quite relevant at
the moment due to my being banged up in Heath Towers and that is �Hospital
Food�.

Well to be truthful most of the time it only just comes into that category
of being food in the ever so slightly edible sense. It always amazes me how
when the instructions are clearly printed on cartons to be warmed up as we
are lucky, suppose to be anyhow, on C1 in that all the food is cooked on the
ward so should be a lot fresher Ha Ha Ha!! That they still manage to mostly
burn or at the very least over cook everything in sight. Can�t these people
even read and follow instructions??? Well to be honest a lot of them with
due respect are extremely hard to understand due to them being of foreign
decent.

I guess there is some validation in the saying that you get what you pay
for. If they pay these people peanuts they are going to get monkeys after
all aren�t they?? Lets face it not everyone can cook yet the mix of people
that have come and gone just on this ward has been eye opening to say the
least but I guess they have all passed the requisite Food Hygiene
Certificate which proves they can cook NOT!!!

In their defence though some of the food is already dismal before they get
their hands on it so they are onto a looser before they start as not even
Gordon Blinking Ramsey could make a decent meal out of the trash they are
trying to force down our throats a lot of the time.

Take yesterday for example I decided on the only thing that even seemed like
it was intended for human consumption for lunch and that was Beef & Onion
Mince with Mashed Spuds & Veg, oh yeah and a Banana which if all else fails
at least they surely can�t mess that up, can they?? Well when it arrived
just for starters it looked like just a big splodge on the plate and not
very appetising at all. There was about an inch of bright red fat covering
it all. Now this amazes me because that would indicate it has been fried at
some point and as it�s beef that would have been in loads of oil as beef
would not produce that much fat on its own and it would have been just
warmed up on the ward so its not their fault. The mashed spuds could only
just be recognised as being of this planet by the odd black bit to reassure
you they were actually potatoes and the Veg consisted of Swede which
although cut into microscopic pieces was still like eating little stones and
was rock hard. I couldn�t cook this bad if I tried not that I would want
to. The overall taste was one of Grease and fat from start to finish and to
be honest for a few hours afterwards too as the taste sort of lingers. I
guess the calorie content was pretty much zero too and as they are paranoid
with your weight in here that�s not idea too, in fact I have lost 1.5kg
overnight so at this rate I wont be here at all in a couple of months if
they keep me in.

So who�s to blame?? Everyone involved from the funding to the serving and
everything in between and in a small way us patients are because although we
have our moans about it we never do actually complain officially about it
apart from me now and then as you might have guessed not that it gets me
anywhere nearer to a nicer meal but I will say that it has brought the odd
luxury my way like the odd Bacon Sarny for breakfast when my favourite
caterer�s are on and the nicest piece of chicken etc etc.

So next time you are in don�t be afraid to speak up and ask for decent
nutritious food, after all it is in their interests to provide it to you so
they can build you back up and kick you back out into the real world
screaming and shouting.

Well that wasn�t too bad was it and I surprised myself by being very non
judgemental I think.

Right off to down another packet of crisps, the 4 Th packet today as �THE
FOOD HERE IS CRAP�

See Ya!!

_________________________________________________________________
Download the new Windows Live Toolbar, including Desktop search!
http://toolbar.live.com/?mkt=en-gb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo cous
Stay with the crisps When i was in there last time all I ate was the cheese and crackers I used to ask for double helping then keep them to eat throughout the night. The weight i lost was huge.
nice to be able to hear from you while you are on your small holiday
take care
By the way
A postcard from Blackpool with mums signiture on will be on it's way!!
I will keep checking your blog until i go away so please keep us informed.
Fav cous