Friday, October 20

smelling mistkes!!

  I know that my spelling is never that good and to be honest the spellchecker is rubbish on here but I feel like I should apologise in advance as I think it will be worse than usual today due to trying to write this through tired squinty eyes after a long sleepless night at Heath Towers.  For once it was not my fault either which is annoying.

As I tried to explain fairly clearly I hope in the last blog they have decided on this new approach to my treatment and part of this involves giving me a good dose of Immunoglobulin to try and boost my immune system.  The preferred method is via IV and it’s usually around 3 or 4 bottles but was 4 on this occasion.  The first dose is given really slowly as there are some bad side effects such as lowering blood pressure and raising temperature amongst other things.  I know when Merlin and his merry men and women came a visiting in the morning(and not at lunchtime for a change!!) that they had written it up for me to have yesterday and the nurse in control of my destiny had ordered it so it was a case of just waiting for the blood bank to pull their finger out and deliver it.  Well bugger me it finally turned up at about 8.15pm last night meaning it was to be a long night for me.  One of the problems with having this is that due to the side effects I mentioned they are in and out like yoyo’s taking your blood pressure and temp etc etc and not even I have managed to sleep through that experience sadly.  I had asked the nurse who had connected me up to Metal Mickey with the pump from hell on it. (this is a drip stand that has a pump sort of hanging off it through which they run the various IV’s that need accurate delivery rates etc) how many have I got to have and she said they’ve only written you up for 10mg which is just one bottle.  Great I thought at least I won’t have to put up with this constant grinding noise coming from the pump and the constant interruptions from the nurses to check if I was still alive all night.  Well, about 10.30 the nurse on duty for the night came in wielding another bottle of poison to my dismay.  I asked how many I have got to have and was told I was having 3 large ones and one half bottle.  Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Well I thought to myself I hope there is something good to watch on the telly all night as I was not going to get any sleep.  Why me, what have I done to upset everyone???  However much I could do with having this poison or should I say amber nectar really as it is supposed to be doing me good, surely they know how long it takes and the hassle involved etc etc and might it have been better to wait till the morning to start it instead of that time of night.  In some fairness to the nurse who had originally started it off she thought it was just the one bottle which wouldn’t have been so bad although in saying that it’s a bit scary that she didn’t know that I was to have more because as far as I know they have to ring down for the rest of the bottles one by one when they are needed, a bit like they do with Blood as this is a blood product after all and she would have just left it at one I guess and no one would have been any wiser.  

It must have been about 4am by the time I managed to drop off and they were back in for more poking and prodding at 6.15.  That was nice of them I thought, very thoughtful.  Well that was it no sooner that one comes in they are followed to be entourage that is the Daily Heath Towers Express, the only train I know of that you can set your clock by and in all the times I have been in it is never late and never ever cancelled.

So I’m sat here, well let me correct that, I’m lying here writing this trying my best to see the screen through eyes that look like they actually died about 10 years ago and are about as useful too.

On a lighter note a package arrived via my mother yesterday.  It was covered in wild west labels and smelt of Spicy Cajun Cooking, well actually it was in a Tesco’s carrier bag and smelt of the delicious nice warm Clarks Pie my mother had managed to get past the border guard.  When I opened it up though three little head popped out, well one large one and two little ones to be truthful.  Three new Ducks had decided to come to stay.  They looked tired after their long journey from the Wild West where they had been cowboys and Indians but have decided to come and live out their days with me at Duck Haven.  I’m sure they will settle down nicely and the others will be so interested in all the stories these three must have about their life in the outback.  It’s so nice to see the three of them getting on together after years of fighting one another, sort of gives me hope for humanity after all.

Right I am going to try and get a bit of sleep in now I have the chance, I have put out the do not disturb sign and put a wedge under the door to stop them coming in too so I should be okay for a little while anyhow.

See Ya!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I WILL WHISPER, IN CASE YOU ARE ASLEEP. YOU MUST BE TIRED YOU HAD SENT YOU BLOG IN TWICE