Tuesday, October 17

No Space!!

Not a bad night for me last night.  I managed to get a little sleep at least in between the Various interruptions for the usual stuff like IV Connections and drugs and the odd trip to the loo as one thing I have found since this skin condition got a bit worse is that all my other Internal organs are obviously fighting for space in there too.  So as a result I find I am making more frequent trips to the loo and also I can’t eat the large meals that I used to, well not if I want to breathe as well. This cutting down on food you would think would be a good thing as it’s a chance to try and control my weight gain brought on mainly by the constant Steroid intake but I have not lost the ferrous appetite though so I find I some days I seem to be eating almost constantly all day long.  My stomach seems to fill up pretty quickly and along comes the full feeling but about 30 minutes later I could eat the same amount all over again and feel like I haven’t actually eaten anything.  I have always tried to have a variety off relatively healthy snacks around but as I’m not really a fruit person I have to admit I fallen head over heals with the joys of Walkers Crisps.  I am making my way through the range slowly.  I was quite heavily into Bacon flavour for a few weeks until about 2 weeks or so then it has been Prawn Cocktail which incidentally taste nothing like prawn cocktail at all but I do like the sharpness of them as well as the fact they stink out the Day Centre whenever I am down there which is always a laugh and come to think of it might actual get me seen a bit quicker if I was to open a packet because they might just want to get rid of me quick Ha Ha Ha!!!  I have found that All through this my diet needs have been very much a roller coaster ride like the rest of the treatments etc and my taste buds sometimes change on a daily basis which is a real pain when it comes to shopping for such things hence Judith and myself have come up with a pretty foolproof system whenever I am staying at the convenience of Heath Towers, I text her each day or night as long as its before 10.30 in the morning with whatever I fancy that particular day and she stops at some point on the way in to get it.  That way we don’t tend to build up stock piles of stuff like we used too as Judith did quite a few times, moreso when I really wasn’t eating much at all and I guess she was just glad to see me eating something, whenever I asked her to get me something she would come back with a pile of them only for me to go off them a day or so later leaving us with jars and packets of stuff all over the place.  I’m not so bad at the moment as between us all at least the crisps would get eaten by someone, unless anyone want 120 packets of Walkers Bacon Crisps Ha Ha Ha!!!

Right on a serious note, Merlin flew in at his usual inconvenient time just as they had served up lunch which was a juicy Roast Lamb Dinner.  He had the result from the CT Scan the other day which was sort of good and bad news really.  It was good in that it didn’t show any major sites of infection but it did show up an area on the bottom of my right lung that showed signs of Bronchiexsasis (Spelling is bad sorry) with some fluid there too which would probably be caused by this because my lungs haven’t been able to clear it through normal means.  This would somewhat explain why none of the antibiotics have had any effect on the problems of late as it is not an infection but more a condition whereby the tubes inside your lungs are not working properly and failing to remove any phlegm etc from building up etc..  It can be treated with some intense physio which is good although his next move now is to contact the Chest team at Llandough Hospital to find out what they would suggest. Whether I need and Brochoscope or are they happy to proceed with the physio and also whether it can be done her or would I have to move over there which as many of you know I have great reservations with doing.  My general feelings are that unless they really expect to find anything new from the bronch then I’d rather they didn’t do it and I can’t really see why they couldn’t do the physio as when I mentioned it later on today to the ward based physio she knew exactly what I meant when I talked about the treatment and they can do it here as its more a case of hand on beating of my chest whilst laying in various positions etc and therefore I would feel a lot more comfortable staying here.  They will continue the antibiotics as a precaution till Wednesday or Thursday by then they will hopefully have contacted Dr Gelder to see what to do next and then I suppose we can look at getting my freedom back and making a mad dash for escape.  Better start digging the tunnel then I guess.

Now where did I put that spade???

See Ya!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi John,

Glad your little rest cure is working out - sort of! Sorry I haven't commented for a bit, I've been away in my "hotel" too! Soundes like your experiences with hopital food are like mine! (I couldn't stand the fish - the smell when the cover comes off after it has been transported half way across London....)

Anyway, I am out again after a weekend on steroids today I was being fitted up for some radiotherapy!

O&U!