Monday, October 16

prisoner!!

Is it too much to ask to not be treated like I am actually in prison whilst I’m locked away in this room I ask myself?

Well the weekend is here again and as per usual the hospital grinds to a halt.  I don’t know why the don’t use up the time to try and catch up on the waiting list and stuff or do the Consultants and Surgeons turn into Pumpkins on Friday night until Monday morning??  It just seems such a waste of time as the beds are all full yet nothing is happening so they have to feed and house us.

Well onto today’s episode in my life’s saga.

I haven’t been sleeping too well which is nothing new I know and the fact is I never sleep too well in here anyhow so I’m not worried about it.  As I was saying I think it was yesterday that there is this constant flow of people in and out first thing in the morning and sadly this is still the case on the weekend even though there is even less of a reason to be torn from your slumber so early.  WHY??  I keep asking myself.  This morning I seemed to be particularly tired even though I did managed to grab a couple of hours shut eye last night so when the Wagon Train started rolling you can guess I was not particularly overjoyed as I was just about beginning to get comfortable.  Well at least the first couple of visitors only required me to stick my arm out from under the nice warm blankets or just a no thank you or yes please to coffee or tea etc.  Then the Bed Patrol turned up.  “Can we weigh you and make your bed” was the offer on the table and although a tempting one I decided to see if I could prolong my hibernation under the sheets only for a little while longer. So I asked if they could come back in a while as I was still quite tired and the answer was that they pushed the weighing chair in and said lets just weigh you then you can go back to sleep.  Well I guessed at least that was a quick jump out of bed and then straight back in which wasn’t too bad so I obliged.  When she had noted down my weight and I was off back to bed I overheard the other nurse saying just put in his notes “Patient Refused Bed Change”.  WHAT???  I BLOODY NEVER DID!!! I asked if you could maybe come back later to do it, if not it is not a major problem, heel I don’t change the sheets etc at home every day, does anyone???  The thing that annoys me most about this is not so much the fact I didn’t refuse to have my bed changed but that they have to write it down at all. WHY???  Would it not have just been easier to maybe come back later on when you have a spare 2 minutes because that’s all it takes or will that disturb one of your gossip sessions later on.  It’s not like me to think like this and I of everyone knows how hard the nurses work on here and it is usually pretty full on and non stop all day but its not the end of the world to have to make the odd bed or two later than expected is it?  

Well I suppose I could take it that I have got out of bed on the wrong side today and am waiting for what ever else it throws at me.

I didn’t have to wait too long either.  There is the facility on the ward thankfully to be able to keep things in the fridge in the kitchen for consummation later.  I quite like a banana Smoothy sometime mid morning as I don’t like to have breakfast as such, so, I pressed the old buzzer and waited for the pitter patter of feet heading in my general direction.  A head popped around the door and I literally mean A HEAD!!  Asking what I wanted, so I asked for one of these drinks and off she went.  Well she returned a short while later bottle in hand in once again THE HEAD popped through the door leaving the remaining body firmly rooted outside and said “I will just throw it on the bed”.  So I had to get up off my chair to get to the bed to pick it up, which I know is no real hardship but all because a lot of people can’t be bothered to put on the obligatory mask that is required when they come in.  This really does irritate me when they can’t even be bothered to come in and just sort of shout from the door and emphasise the feeling of being locked away in prison or maybe like I have got the plague or something.  I will have to count the number of people that actually come in one day and the time that they spend in here too that might be interesting reading.  

It’s bad enough being locked away in here without people making it unnecessarily worse by treating me like a leper.

Well there goes I’m probably off a few peoples Christmas card lists now.  Ah Well!!

See Ya!!

No comments: